Sunday, September 1, 2013

Meet the teacher!

Hi! My name is Mrs. Julie Atkin and I'm so excited to be teaching another year at Walter Shade Early Childhood Center (ECC).  I'm thrilled to be your teacher.  This year is going to be filled with new, fun, and exciting learning explorations.  I can't wait to see where your interests will lead us.  I also can't wait to get to know you and your family, but first I'm going to share a few things about myself.  

This will be my fourth year teaching at the ECC.  Before joining the wonderful people at the ECC, I completed my Bachelors degree at Wright State University.  It is there that I also completed my Masters degree in Early Childhood Education.  Previous to college, I traveled and danced with the off Broadway show called "Blast!"  While growing up, I was a baton twirler, gymnast, dancer, and involved in color guard.  I used all these skills when touring with the company Blast!

I grew up in Bellbrook, Ohio with my parents and 2 brothers: Jamie, and Jon.  My brothers are both in the military, where up until just a month ago were both stationed in Anchorage, Alaska.  I've only been able to visit Alaska twice, and have had an amazing time. 
Jamie and I fishing in Alaska!

    Jamie                   Mrs. Atkin                          Jon 

Speaking of traveling, my husband Josh and I love to travel.  We didn't travel much this summer but last year we visited Israel, Paris, and Costa Rica. Here's a picture of us white water rafting in Costa Rica.  It was so much fun but a little scary!
Mrs. Atkin and Dr. Atkin (back of the raft)

 We also enjoy spending time with our two amazing dogs Desmond and Penelope.  They are great pups even though sometimes they like to get into trouble!


While I'm telling you a little about myself, I'll go ahead and share some of my favorite things.  I can't wait to learn all your favorite things.  

Some of my favorite things!
Favorite Foods:  Fruit (Pomegranate and Avocado) I'm a vegetarian!
Favorite Color: Mint green (At least right now.  It changes often.)
Favorite Season: Fall (I love pumpkins and roasting pumpkin seeds)
Favorite Drinks: ice cold-water, hot-coffee
Favorite flower/plants: Lilly's and houseplants
Favorite Sport: Dance
Favorite Animal: Toucan
Favorite Book: Recently I enjoyed reading "Divergent" by Veronica Roth
Favorite Author: Jan Brett
Favorite Hobbies:  Photography, Pottery, and Crafting

Now that you know about me, I'd love to know about you.  On our first day of school, you shared your favorite animal.  I'd love to know your favorite foods and colors.  All you have to do is type your name and response in the box below and press the button that says "Publish."



4 comments:

  1. Layton Combs- My favorite food is fish and my favorite color is blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Layton! Do you like salmon? If so, you would have enjoyed salmon fishing with me in Alaska. It's so great to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lillian (Lil) Boyd-

    Hi Mrs. Atkin! I really enjoyed my mom reading your blog to me, it was very interesting to learn more about you!

    Favorite Food: Steak
    Favorite Color: Pink

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lil! I'm so happy you got to visit our blog. I also enjoy the color pink, especially when I find it in different shades!

    ReplyDelete